How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was on ssi since 2003. About four years ago, I was ordered

Customer Question

I was on ssi since 2003. About four years ago, I was ordered to repay back money. This is around 66,000 dollars. I have made an agreement with Social Security and with an attorney to repay $100 a month. Can Social Security take my federal tax return if I am making payments and have agreed to repay the money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Yes, the SSA has the power to take your federal tax return. However, if you have a written binding settlement contract wherein they agreed to forego that right, then if the SSA does breach that, you could potentially sue the SSA for that breach of the agreement. SO you really need to look at your contract and see what they agreed to. Often, the agreement merely states that they will agree to NOT take your whole SSI check, but only XX amount, such as the $100 you agreed to and they may agree to refrain from prosecuting (if there was a fraud component) - but they don't mention any agreement to not lien your tax refund. However, you had a lawyer on this and hopefully he was able to put the federal tax refund language in there as well.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!