Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife is disable she is 58 can she collect from ss

Customer Question
my wife is disable she is 58 can she collect from ss
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/24/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Are you asking about Social Security disability? Or the spousal benefit which is 50% of your benefit if you have elected for your retirement benefit?

spousal benefit
spousal benefit for my wife she has been disabled at the age of 20

See link to Social Security website:https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html

"When a worker files for retirement benefits, the worker's spouse may be eligible for a benefit based on the worker's earnings. Another requirement is that the spouse must be at least age 62 or have a qualifying child in her/his care. By a qualifying child, we mean a child who is under age 16 or who receives Social Security disability benefits.

The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit. However, if a spouse is caring for a qualifying child, the spousal benefit is not reduced.

If a spouse is eligible for a retirement benefit based on his or her own earnings, and if that benefit is higher than the spousal benefit, then we pay the retirement benefit. Otherwise we pay the spousal benefit."

Your spouse can qualify though IF you are receiving your spousal benefit and she is disabled. See link: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/yourspouse.html

'Your husband or wife can also receive a spouse's benefit at any age if he or she is caring for your child who is younger than age 16 or disabled." So yes she can receive 50% of your benefit if she is disabled and you are receiving your benefit or disability benefits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further question? I want you to be satisfied with my service, so please let me know.