Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

All my life ive went by the name Stanfield never had a birth…

Customer Question
All my life ive went...
All my life ive went by the name ***** ***** Stanfield never had a birth certificate .when i was born my mother thought another man was my father so my original birth certificate has ***** ***** Fry on it. My mother said she had my last name changed to Stanfield when i was 15 but i dont has any legal documents. Now you have to show a birth certificate to get a drivers license and i dont have one with ***** ***** Stanfield on it and my mother has passed away.what do i need to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/24/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

How old are you please?

Do you have a social security card?

51.
Used family bible for birth record
i have a SS CARD

You mention an "original" birth certificate. Who issued it?

And what name is ***** ***** SS card?

stanfield is on my SS card

OK, so you got your SS card after age 15, it sounds like.

And the other answer?

What do you mean who issued my birth cer.

A birth certificate is an actual certificate created by an entity charged with that responsibility - it could be you state, often hospitals have them created for each child born there... But it is a legal document and you indicate you had one in the name of Fry, right? So where did it come from?

Alabama

OK, so you have a BC from Alabama - and you can typically get a copy of it from the State's vital statistics office.

And what does your family bible page say about your name? Presumably it says Fry, right?

No mam it says stanfield only the birth certificate says mcfry

OK, and you are positive you have an AL birth certificate that says McFry. Why would your mom put Stanfield on the Family Bible when you were born, then change it to McFry immediately?

You are going to want to ORDER your BC from Alabama.

Were you born in a hospital?

I have a birth certificate that has mcfry on it .she put my name in the bible as stanfield and i need a BC with stsnfield on it . ive never went by mcfry
in a hospital

OK, to change your name legally, (ie. to have legal affect) you need a COURT order. If your mom legally changed your name (as opposed to just "in practice"), then the court order can be found at the court she did so at, if you / she have lost it.

But, if she never really did it officially, then you will have to petition your own county court for a name change. You do not need a lawyer if you can follow their form directions. There is usually a hearing (routine) and you swear off that you are not changing your legal name for fraudulent purposes. You will want to get a copy of your McFry BC from Alabama. And your county court will have the name change petition forms.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

I dont have a valid id that any court will except

You have been to court on this before?

I hired a lawyer to petition for an appointment and a records check and was told the judge declined my request

What ID do you show if you when you go to the doctor's office?

And again, have you gotten a copy of the court order where your mom changed your name?

No i dont have any document where my mother had my name changed the only id i have is exspired and you have to have a BC TO renew license

OK, so you need to order your actual original birth certificate. You are legally a McFry, it sounds like, unless that ORDER of name change she claims she made exists. So you may not like it, but you have to go as McFry, so you can get your DL. That is also your ID. Once you are McFry with ID, you can then petition the court to change form McFry to Stanfield.

This is unless you can go to the COURT she allegedly got your name changed in, IF she actually did, and get a copy of that ORDER. If there is no order, you are McFry. Get a license as McFry and if you WANT to change your name to Stanfield, you can do that without a lawyer in your own county court, by filing a petition for a name change.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq