How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied online to start receiving my social security

Customer Question

I applied online to start receiving my social security retirement. Because I registered under my full legal name and not how my soc sec card reads, they want to verify my name. No one at my local office will help me. They refer me to an office in Alabama that has 40 min waits and nothing in their menu that sounds like my problem. Can I cancel that first app and re-apply?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Your first application basically rejected you, right?

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

So you never got to get in and fill it all out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not rejected, just needed further verification of my name. I was told by email to send original document (I suppose they meant my soc sec card) but gave me no address to send anything to. I completely finished the app and was waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Interesting. Generally, when our client's info doesn't match SS information, it halts the process. Strange. That said, have you tried going in and putting in the CORRECT SS information, i.e. starting fresh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm afraid I'll cause confusion and have a second app out there. Tomorrow I turn 66 and am worried this will all delay my getting benefits on time.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Do you actually HAVE your proper documents that will suffice for SS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know what to do...I do know that if they want to argue I'm not who I say I am...SS can hold this app up forever! My name is***** When I married and changed my SS card 46yrs ago, the SS office typed out my card as Pat A Montgomery. All employment apps were filled out with my full name...this is really frustrating.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Partricia. I know your frustration. My mom's credentials are very askew! And she is an immigrant! None of her docs match, AT ALL.

But I'll ask it again, "Do you actually HAVE your proper documents that will suffice for SS?" WHAT EXACTLY IS THE PROBLEM?

1) what is on your SS card - I think you said "Pat A Montgomery"

2) What is on your drivers license?

3) What is on your birth certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My birth cert says "Patricia Anne Canterbury". My marriage license says "Patricia Anne Canterbury". My driver's license reads "Patricia C Montgomery". I have my birth cert, marriage license, social security card and driver's license. I don't to put any or all of these in the mail and they want originals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still talking?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Patricia, good morning and my apologies - we lost power due to the Blizzard thing going on, but I am back on.

Yes, you can cancel you application if it was never approved - first and foremost. But that said, you are going to want to get your names connected - ie. use only one on legal documents.

You indicate your marriage certificate (you said license, but license is not the resulting cert.) has the same name as your birth name? Did you marry a guy also named Canterbury?? Or is his name Montgomery? Because it is is, that is your legal doc to propose Montgomery as your legal name, after being born Canterbury - that connects those dots. Then, you may have deviated a bit by using "C" as your middle inititial rather than A on your DL. I'd go and get my DL fixed and then go get my SS card fixed, since now you will have connecting documents to prove who you are.

I don't blame you for not wanting to mail your docs - but that does mean you need to go in person. It is not clear to me WHAT local office refused you, but it may have been because your documents simply do not match or connect and therefore you are unable to prove you are the same person throughout. Once you get your documents corrected to tie together, you can get the SSA to recognize you.

I realize this will take a few weeks and you may want to file before then, but remember that the longer you delay taking between now and age 70, you INCREASE your benefit forever. If you could get by to 70, your age 66 benefit would jump up 32%. But even just a 1 year wait gives you an 8% raise in benefit.

Anyway, it is what it is - many of us are having to get our ducks in a row with new rule on how to establish identity in this post 911 era. Your situation is not nearly so harsh as many, some of whose paperwork is so backwards they can not get these renewals with corrections.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!