How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4522
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering starting to receive ssa benefits. I am 64

Customer Question

I am considering starting to receive ssa benefits . I am 64 years old, divorced (married 21 years ) . My ex husband is diabled (Parkinson's) and 66 years old .i don know what his benefits are (retirement? Disability?) but assume he is receiving benefits at the high end as he was an accomplished business man. I would like to know what is the highest amount I would be able to receive as an ex spouse at 64 and 66. Also, as he is very ill I would need to know if those benefits would change should I outlive him .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist. There are some factors i will have to estimate for your benefit.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

As a divorces spouse who qualifies, you can claim against your ex-husband's work record for a benefit. You would be eligible for a benefit up to 50% of his regular OR disability benefit once you reach age 66.

Claiming at age 64 reduces that amount by approximately 13%, depending on the number of months you claim early.

If he has a maximum benefit, he could be collecting as much as $2,642 as a maximum benefit. Your divorced spouse's benefit could be up to 50% of that, or $1,321 per month.

A few factors adjust that amount:

I assumed he is collecting a max benefit. A visit to your SSA office can confirm the dollar amount of his benefit, and yours.

Your benefit must be claimed first, and that would be increased if the spousal benefit is higher.

Claiming early, at age 64, might reduce the maximum from $1,321 to $1,145 per month. If you wait until you reach age 66, your benefit will be the full 50% of his.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Lastly, if he predeceases, you will still be able to collect your benefit at the same amount for the remainder of your life.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback, rating my assistance, is requested to close out ytour inquiry when we are finished. Follow up questions are welcome, but my best suggestion is a visit to your local SSA office to confirm what I reported and allow them to calculate your actual benefit. I'm PDtax.