Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am a married retired veteran collecting a pension years of

Customer Question
I am a married retired...
I am a married retired veteran collecting a pension for 23 years of active duty and compensation for being 100% disabled. I have not worked since 2001 but have worked at a small home business since 2004 but have not drawn a salary since 2007 due to my health. I turned 62 in Sep 2015 and am unsure what I should do. Should I file for SS disability or just social security? My savings is minimal and I am not paying into any retirement programs. I get 100% of my health care from the VA so my health costs is nothing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
1/22/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country!

To be eligible to apply for social security disability, you have to show not only that you have earned the required 40 units of social security credit, but also that you have worked and paid into social security for the past 5 of 10 years. Because you have not paid into social security in going on 9 years, you would not qualify for SSDI.

You do qualify though for traditional social security retirement benefits presuming you have the 40 quarter credits earned during your lifetime.

You can apply online for your Social Security Retirement Benefit or (if you are married) a Spouse Benefit at this site: http://www.ssa.gov/retirement/about.htm

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney