How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4526
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are married, another of these disappearing provisions

Customer Question

If you are married, another of these disappearing provisions allows you to call up your Social Security clerk, make a simple six-word request, and immediately raise your income by an extra $1,329 a month.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and I know what that newsletter publisher is referring to.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The maximum spousal benefit for 2015 is 50% of that ($2,663) maximum, which was $1,332. The benefit they are referring to is a spousal benefit under file and suspend. That filing options allows a high earning spouse to file for benefits, then suspend collecting, to create a spousal benefit of up to 50% of (his) benefit.

If your scenario suggests filing this way, you have until April 30, 2016 to do so.

The newsletter publisher is carefully not specific about their claims, so that you might purchase their newsletter.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

"I want to file and suspend" might be the quote.