Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

K,
, ***** *****, K Disabled and 54 and now 75. would I

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, K,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ***** *****, K Disabled and 54 and now 75. would I qualify for these benefits that will be banned?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I need to know as many we need what we worked for?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What more would I need to add?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is necessary to apply for these benefits?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

OK, here is what is being banned: Dependents, such as a spouse or a minor child or an adult disabled child, will no longer be able to collect dependent benefits off of the worker's work record IF that worker "suspends" his own benefits. (Some workers, after their full retirement age (FRA) but before age 70) will want to suspend benefits so that they can earn "delayed retirement credits" that will increase their benefit rate by 8% per year, for a maximum increase of 32%. Any worker suspensions after 4/30/16 will cause family dependents to be suspended as well.

In addition, any spouses who did not turn 62 before the end of 2015 will no longer have the right to file a "restricted application" for spousal only (to let their OWN grow til age 70) - which they might otherwise have chosen to do at their FRA. In other words, any application for spousal or ones own, is deemed to be an application for both and we will get the larger of the two.

As such, since none of these would effect you (you don't want spousal, presumably, or you would have taken it far earlier)(and you wouldn't want to suspend for anything, since you can't now grow your benefit to age 70) - I don't see any new ban taking anything away from you.

There has been many a FALSE statement made by scammers to perhaps get you to buy something, like directions on how to apply - but it is false. It would apply ONLY to those that meet the above and their rights have not increased in any way, they just have to be able to file for what they would have done anyway (if educated on their rights that have existed for 15+ years), in a timely manner.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!