Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

When can I retire and get full benefits

Customer Question
When can I retire and get full benefits
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/22/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your present age?

2. Are you asking about a social security retirement benefit, spouse benefit or a survivor benefit?

Doug

I am 64 - I am trying to figure out when I can retire and get my full benefits

Thanks for the additional information.

Your full retirement age according to social security law is age 66. At age 66 you will be entitled to your full retirement benefit. However, if you delay taking your benefit beyond age 66, it will grow at a full 8% per year between age 66 and age 70.

If you want to see how your retirement benefits are shaping up you can look at your Social Security Earnings Statement online. Let me explain.

You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug