Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is the SS "spouses option"?

Customer Question
What is the SS "spouses...
What is the SS "spouses option " ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/21/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The spousal benefit is an election from a spouse when their spouse is currently receiving Social Security benefits. It is 50% of their spouses benefit depending on if you are at full retirement age or not. At this point full retirement is a 66 so if you elect to take the spousal benefits under age 66 it will be reduced because of the early retirement penalty.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Also, a spouse will normally take the higher of his / her normal Social Security retirement benefit and the spousal benefits. The spousal benefits and the normal retirement benefits,1 one would receive the higher of the two benefits taking into account some exceptions.

Just checking back in, do you have any further question? I want you to be satisfied with my service, so please let me know.