How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are on social securty disabilty and want be part

Customer Question

if you are on social securty disabilty and want be part consultant i am 64 what happens to my social security
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

If it is determined that you are able to work substantially, then you would potentially lose your SSD. There are several ways that can happen. First, if you work more than minimal hours, as a self employed person, that can be a trigger. Second, regardless of hours, if you NET 1090 or more in month, for too many months, that will terminate your benefits. I suggest you look into the Trial Work Period program.

Also, if what you are doing in your work activities contradicts what the SSA found you couldn't do, that made you disabled, then of course that could cause you to be found no longer disabled (improved).

All in all, you want to be very careful but often working PT and earning minimally IS doable, if you document well what needs to be documented in case you get reviewed, and you pay sharp attention to the legal limits.

Remember too that once you hit your full retirement age (FRA), you are no longer on the disabled ranks, you are now merely retired, so the 1090 rule doesn't apply.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!