Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I AM 75 YRS OLD I DRAW SSC ALONG WITH MY HUSBAND. MY

Customer Question
HUSBAND'S IS QUITE LARGER THAN...
I AM 75 YRS OLD I DRAW SSC ALONG WITH MY HUSBAND. MY HUSBAND'S IS QUITE LARGER THAN MINE. CAN I DRAW ON HIS TO IMPROVE MINE AND NOT LOWER HIS.
NOT EVEN SURE IF THIS IS POSSIBLE. SOMEONE TOLD ME THIS IS POSSIBKLE
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/20/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Anita,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Does your husband get at least twice as much social security benefit as you receive?

2. What is your age and your husband's age?

Doug

MY AGE 74, MY HUSBANDS 75. HIS SS AMOUNT $1566.00. MY SS AMOUNT IS $945.00

Hi Anita,

Thank you for the additional information.

Because a spouse benefit can be at MOST, 50% of the full retirement age benefit of the working spouse, and because you already are receiving 60% of the amount as your husband, then applying for a spouse benefit would not result in you receiving a higher retirement benefit. I am sorry.

There does not appear to be anything that you can do to increase your benefit at this time.

What I can tell you though is that if your husband predeceases you, you will be entitled to switch to a survivor benefit from social security and you will get the same amount of benefit that your husband is receiving at the time of his passing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug