How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get detailed employment information years

Customer Question

How can I get detailed employment information for the years 1980-1985? I need the report to show where I worked during those years. I am trying to verify employment so that I can pursue a pension that should be available to me. State of Michigan. Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

The best source of information is to request your earning record from the Social Security Administrations.
Here is the form to use

Please see mailing address on the last page.

You may also obtain similar record when you login into your SSA account.

Let me know if that works for your purposes.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If you are looking to get earning information from the IRS - unfortunately that would not be a simple task....

Generally - transcripts from the IRS are available only for past 6 years and copies of your tax returns - for past three years.

You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -

.That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.

The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:


Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099 s and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.

Sorry - there is no simple solution.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.