Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What happens to the social security taxes taken out of my…

Customer Question
What happens to the social...
What happens to the social security taxes taken out of my pay check? Are you entitled to 6% of the total amount after each year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/19/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Good afternoon,

The taxes we pay on our work earnings, go to a fund to be used to pay present claims of those entitled to benefits. Excess is loaned out to government agencies, so the funds can earn interest. We are not entitled to 6% of the total amount, no. I am curious, though, where you got that idea.

We are not entitled to ANY of the taxes we paid in. However, if we someday meet the eligiblity requirements for SSD, Retirement, Survivors, etc., then we can make our insurance claim and collect that benefits we are entitled to, which will depend on our lifetime average monthly earnings that we paid SS taxes on.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!