Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Will my wife status of disability change when she is 62. She…

Customer Question
Will my wife status of...
Will my wife status of disability change when she is 62. She is gonna receive an annuity from rail road retirement at 62. Her benefit will go up. If she waits till she is 66 she will receive a higher amount from rub.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/19/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your wife's disability status with social security will not change when she turns 62 and begins to receive a railroad pension, the pension from the railroad will reduce or eliminate the disability benefit she will receive from social security. Let me explain.

The Government Pension Offset laws of social security will result in your wife losing 2/3 of the amount that the railroad pays her as a pension from her disability benefit.

So if she is receiving SSDI of $1000 per month and her railroad pension is $1200 per month, social security will reduce her SSDI by 2/3 of the railroad pension---or by $800 per month, leaving her with SSDI of $200 per month and her railroad pension.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug