How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37684
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a correct way to administer social security

Customer Question

Is there a correct way to administer social security dependent benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I don't understand what you mean when you say "administer dependent benefits". Can you please expand on your question?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I get a social security check should I deposit in a separate account in the name of the child. Can I spend the money on anything? Or am I restricted in some way. Can I buy child food, pay for education, go to the movies?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Is this a child survivor benefit, or a benefit because you are receiving social security retirement?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am receiving social security and dependent child benefits. I want to know how to handle the dependent child benefits. Should I Open a separate UTMA account for my child?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for the additional information.

Survivor's benefits for children first need to cover the child's share of the day-to-day requirements, such as water, food and shelter. After that you may spend remaining funds on dental and medical expenses for the child. If you can afford to pay the child's medical and general living expenses without the monthly benefit, the SSA allows you to use it for clothing, recreation and other miscellaneous expenses.

To the extent that you don't use the entire benefit to support the child, you should set up an interest-bearing account in the child's name and list yourself as a fiduciary. Alternatively, social security law allows you to buy Savings Binds with the money.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,