How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13546
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is 78 and receives $1,444.80 per month social

Customer Question

My wife is 78 and receives $1,444.80 per month social security
I am 76 and receive $1,985.80 per month from social security
I have been reading that we can receive much more if we apply for it
before April 30, 2016.
If so how does one apply for this extra $
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, unfortunately this is untrue. What is happening is on 4//30, that is the last day that someone can stop their benefits ("suspend") without causing their dependents' benefit to stop as well (i.e. spousal benefits of his spouse, child benefits of his child, etc.). The only reason one would have wanted to suspend was so that they could delay retirement taking until some time AFTER his full retirement age (FRA), up to age 70, so that the benefit would grow by 32% compared to their full retirement age 65-66. There is no purpose in suspending after age 70, since you get no benefit for doing so.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!