How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a parent purchase future ss benefits dependent child 25

Customer Question

Can a parent purchase future ss benefits for a dependent child 25 years of age who is disabled?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No, SS benefits are not for sale, unlike other kinds of disability policies. The way a parent gets coverage that would provider coverage for a disabled adult child, is through that parent's work record, earnings upon which he paid SS taxes. Once he is sufficiently insured for SS himself, he then has coverage for any child that becomes disabled before age 22. This is called Disabled Adult Child (DAC) benefits. This means that IF the child can prove that he became disabled as defined by the SSA, before he was 22, then whenever his parent becomes eligible for his own SS benefits (retired, disabled) or is deceased, that disabled adult child can file for a DAC benefit based on his parent's work record. He may choose to do that IF that DAC benefit is bigger than any other Social Security benefit he may be receiving. Generally, he has be remain unmarried, to get this dependent benefit. Prior to being eligible for a DAC benefits (such as if no parent is yet on SS him/herself), that disabled adult child would instead be on SSI (Supplemental Security Income) if he did not have social security himself. Then he switches to DAC as soon as he is eligible to apply.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!