How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been married 57 yrs. HE is 80, I am

Customer Question

My husband and I have been married 57 yrs. HE is 80, I am 75yrs old. I heard there was something called a TEN benefit for couples married over 10 yrs . if there is what form can I ask for to claim that ?
also wondering about a D R C provision to increase C O L 8% for 4 yr . What form # ***** I ask for that benefit? HE started working at age 15 . I was 16 when we got married ,first child at 17 stayed home to take care of children 10 yrs before working out of home is there any provision for staying home to take care of children for me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You have this confused a bit about what you call a "ten" benefit. The benfit for being married 10 years means that if you divorce at some point you can still collect the spousal benefit if you remain unmarried. From the SS site:

"If you are divorced, your ex-spouse can receive benefits based on your record (even if you have remarried) if:

Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer;

Your ex-spouse is unmarried;

Your ex-spouse is age 62 or older;

The benefit that your ex-spouse is entitled to receive based on his or her own work is less than the benefit he or she would receive based on your work; and

You are entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

If you have not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, your ex-spouse can receive benefits on your record if you have been divorced for at least two years."

The delayed retirement credit (drc) is only if you delay receiving your Social Security benefit after age 66 up to age 70. The credits increase your benefit 8% over each year that you delay taking your benefit. There is no form # ***** by delaying your benefit social security would automatically increase the benefit you would receive when you finally elect to receive your benefit. If you do not have enough income or only have a small amount of income and have low social security benefits, you can take the spousal benefit from your husband which is 50% of his retirement benefit. Social security will give you the higher of your retirement benefit or the 50% spousal benefit. So yes even if you stayed home and had no income, you will be able to elect to take the spousal benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.