How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am confused, but interested in this subject. Help me to

Customer Question

Customer: I am confused, but interested in this subject. Help me to know what to do. I am 82, almost 83, widowed and living on my Social Security. I guess I qualify as being below the poverty line.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have read where if you sign up you may receive thousands of unclaimed dollars and add it to you SS income (?).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

These changes for some reason have been hyped in the media and on the Internet but these changes are very specific and at your age, do not affect you. What it has to do with is "file and suspend" and the spousal benefit. On May 1, 2016, recipients will no longer be able to take advantage of this loophole. Basically you have to be at an age to take your full retirement benefit (age 66). You can suspend your benefits and allow your benefits to grow until age 70 and gain credits. The working spouse has to elect to take their benefit in order for the other spouse to be eligible for the spousal benefit. The other spouse then elects to take the 50% spousal benefit. So this change in social security, at your age, has nothing to do with your benefit and it is not something that you can elect to get extra money.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.