Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 79 years old and need to know if I have to file

Customer Question
for these benefits before they...
I am 79 years old and need to know if I have to file for these benefits before they expire. if so how do I file. does this affect my current benefits?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/17/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

There have been a lot of people and websites speaking of this change like it is going to effect a lot of people. This loophole is small and does not add to benefits for a person your age. It involves suspending your benefits at age 66 in order to allow your spouse to take the spousal benefit and let your credits build up until age 70 for a higher social security benefit. You will only meet the requirements for the "file and suspend" If you are at full retirement age (66) and you have a spouse that is eligible to take spousal benefits. This will allow you to suspend you benefits at age 66 and have your spouse elect to take the 50%spousal benefit and you can elect not to take the benefit until age 70 and increase you ultimate benefit by receiving credits during this time. So no this not add anything to your check and you should not worry about this change in the law. that will go away in May 1, 2016.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.