Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I read that SSA is in a dilemma regarding their denying a

Customer Question

I read that SSA is in a dilemma regarding their denying a COLA increase, but increasing Medicare premiums, that affects recipients who were born prior to 1966. Supposedly there is some form of compensation to that population that is being ended on 4/30/2016. However, it is next to impossible to get any information about it.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

There is a "file and suspend" loophole that deals with the spousal benefit that wil be eliminated on May 1, 2016. This is being hyped on many websites and many people do not understand that it does not effect many people. You will only meet the requirements for the "file and suspend" If you are at full retirement age (66) and you have a spouse that is eligible to take spousal benefits. This will allow you to suspend your benefits at age 66 and have your spouse elect to take the 50% spousal benefit and you can elect not to take the benefit until age 70. This will increase your ultimate social security benefit by receiving additional credits during this time. So no this will most likely not add anything to your check unless you want to take advantage of this narrow loophole.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?