Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband is thinking of retiring at 62 1/2. I keep reading…

Customer Question
My husband is thinking of...
My husband is thinking of retiring at 62 1/2. I keep reading all of these ads about being careful and needing to know a six letter word that can get you extra money. I am getting worried we might do the wrong thing. I do not think we need to get the spousal support as my husband bought life insurance years ago to cover me, I also am going to get an inheritance from my mother.
Would it be better to hold off until he is 63 in November or not collect until January 2017 to keep records clean about income?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
1/17/2016
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

This change has been hyped by the media and a lot of websites and does not affect many people. Basically it is a loophole that will be closed that relates to spousal benefits and being at age 62, you will not be at full retirement age (age 66) in order to take advantage of this before the loophole is eliminated. There is not a magical "six letter word" that will get you more money. You will only meet the requirements for the "file and suspend" If you are at full retirement age (66) and you have a spouse that is eligible to take spousal benefits. This will allow you to suspend you benefits at age 66 and have your spouse elect to take the 50% spousal benefit and you can elect not to take the benefit until age 70 and increase you ultimate benefit by receiving credits during this time. So no this will not add anything to your check as you cannot take advantage of this narrow loophole. It is really up to you if you want to take early retirement (before age 66 social security will decrease your benefit depending on how early you elect to take your benefits) and it really depends on if you are still working (this can decrease your benefit as well) and if you need the money.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?