How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am age 70 and have been collecting Social Security

Customer Question

I am age 70 and have been collecting Social Security benefits since I turned 62. My wife of 39 years died at the end of last year. She had been collecting Social Security Disability payments for almost twenty years. Her monthly benefit was approximately $350 more than mine. As the surviving spouse (living with), now at full retirement age, will I be able to claim my deceased spouse's higher benefit amount?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, generally, you can switch to a survivor benefit since you are over 60, and it should be her full benefit amount. You can (must, actually), go to your local SSA office to apply, as you can't do it online. Bring with you your photo ID, your birth certificate, your marriage certificate and your wife's death certification.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!