How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband to whom I was married years has died. I was

Customer Question

My ex-husband to whom I was married for 33 years has died. I was told when I signed up for my social security that if he died I would get $300 of his social security benefit (maybe more). I will be receiving a death certificate soon and I also have certified copies of our marriage and divorce papers. What else do I need? Do I need to go to my local social security office with these papers to get signed up? What else will I need to provide? ***@******.***. Please respond.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, Pat.

Yes, if you expect a survivor benefit (divorced widow benefit), you will want to take his DC, your marriage certificate, your divorce decree, AND your photo ID AND your birth certificate. You can not file online so, yes, you take them to your local SSA field office. I am sorry for your loss, but glad to hear you can gain an increase in SS retirement.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!