R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  Tax & Social Security Benefits specialist
63817126

I am a divorced widow who was married years and four months

Customer Question

I am a divorced widow who was married for eleven years and four months to the deceased. How much will I receive as a divorced widow?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question about Social Security.

I can answer your question in a general way, but due to privacy laws, I cannot access your SSA account to look up your specific benefits.

Since you were married for at least 10 years, your benefit will be based on the retirement benefit your spouse earned during his lifetime. Your benefit as a widow can start as early as age 60, although if you have children under 18, they may be entitled to benefits.

Although you can get a survivors benefit at 60, it will be reduced for your life unless you wait to full retirement age, which is 66 or 67 for most people. The longer you delay your benefit, the more you get per month for life.