How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 63 and divorced after 25 years of marriage. He made a

Customer Question

Customer: I am 63 and divorced after 25 years of marriage. He made a lot more than me. Can I receive social security through my x-husband?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have never remarried, He is now retired and collecting social security. He is 68.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes you can receive social security through your ex spouse. From the Social security website:

"Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age." Your benefits would be reduced as full retirement age is 66 if you take it at this point. See link for calculating your benefit:

See language for Social Security on the issue:

"If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more."

For requirements see Social Security website:

"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:

(1) receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.

(2) begin receiving benefits as early as age 50 if you are disabled AND the disability started before or within seven years of the worker's death.

A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** to request an appointment."

Please let me know if you have any further question and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?