How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can we get an increase to our social security? We

Customer Question

How can we get an increase to our social security? We desperately need $1000/mo more.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I have seen these ads and blogs telling seniors that they can get $1,000 more a month in social security, and other claiming that you can make changes to how you apply for benefits to get more.

Unfortunately, what the headlines don’t tell you is that there is no social security giveaway, and anyone who plans ahead can do this. But if you are already receiving benefits there is nothing you can do to increase the benefit you are presently receiving.

Where the mysterious $1,000 a month comes from is by choosing when you are age62, not to take your social security benefits and wait until age 70 to do so. In doing that the average worker will get about $1,000 per month more in their benefit payment from social security.

If you have already started taking your retirement benefit from social security and have been receiving it for more than a year, it is impossible to do anything about delaying your retirement and getting that additional thousand dollars a month.

While the message about the extra money is not a scam, it really only applies to certain people who are able and willing to postpone taking their benefit until age 70---which few retirees’ are able to do.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My previous wife collected s/s at 62 and only collected it for 1 yr she died at age 63. Is there any way that I can collect her s/s?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


1. Was she collecting more at her death than you are receiving now?

2. Are you presently remarried?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have remarried.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


First, you can only collect one benefit at a time and if you are getting more than she was at her time of passing, then you would not be able to collect on her earning history. Also, you are not eligible for either an ex-spouse benefit or an ex-spouse survivor benefit because you are remarried. For you to make an ex-spouse claim, you must be unmarried---either because of the death of your spouse or a divorce.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,