LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If a parent is presently receiving SSI and medical

Customer Question

If a parent is presently receiving SSI and medical assistance and he/she owns homes with one or more children because years ago parental inheritance was shared with all of the children and now the children do not care to look after the parent in their old age. I am in that category and wish to know what to do when my house in India gets sold as there is no one to live in it.
Am I allowed to buy a house in USA with the sale proceeds i nth ename of mysel fan da care giver unrelated to me.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

When your home in India is sold, you will be able to use the proceeds of the sale to buy a home here in the US for you to live in and that home will not be included in your countable assets and you can maintain your eligibility for SSI.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug