How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4626
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband just passed away and I would like to have s

Customer Question

my husband just passed away and I would like to have his social security benefits added on to mine. how do I go about getting this accomplished?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. Sorry for your loss.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way is to schedule a visit to your local Social Security Administration office. You will be asked to provide a number of documents to support your application for survivor benefits. Bring copies of your originals to the meeting.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.


You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-****(TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

You can help by being ready to:

  • Provide any needed documents; and
  • Answer the questions listed below.

Documents you may need to provide

We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:

  • Proof of the worker's death;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
  • U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;
  • For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;
  • W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;
  • Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; and
  • Marriage certificate


We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate. (We will return them to you.)

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

While SSA suggests you can call to apply, they will likely set an appointment for you to visit an SSA office.

They prefer that you bring originals they can copy, such as a certified death certificate.

You can ask for an estimate of your new benefit, and an estimate of how long it will take for your benefit change to take effect.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.