How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 76 and have been on social security 5+ years but have

Customer Question

I am 76 and have been on social security for about 5+ years but have continued to sub as a school nurse. In 2014, I earned 9,568.69 as earned income and paid all appropriate taxes which were taken out of my check. I thought I would receive an increase in my SS payment but did not when I received notification in Dec. about my 2016 monthly check.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, even if your post retirement earnings result in you getting a slight increase in your benefit, you will not be told specifically about it, but it will simply be added to your benefits. Also, not all years of income are necessarily counted by social security toward a higher benefit level. Let me explain.

Social Security uses only the top 35 years of your earnings to determine your benefit amount. So, if you don't have 35 years of earning history and you continue to work after you start your social security benefits, then each additional year up to 35 will result in an increase in your benefits.

Likewise, if you already have 35 years of employment, but last year was one of the top 35, then that top 35 year would take the place of a lesser income year and would also result in an increase in your benefit amount.

Only if your earnings could not be placed in the top 35 years of income would your continued employment not have any effect on your continuing benefits.

Keep in mind that for example, if you earned a top 35 year of income in2015, social security will not see that income until you file taxes in 2016 and then they will apply your increase in January of 2017----so the increase you receive is not immediate---but actually 2 years after you have the top 35 year.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,