LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I wanted to know if I am able to receive a portion of my

Customer Question

I wanted to know if I am able to receive a portion of my ex-husband social security benefits even though I AM GETTING MINE.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is only possible to receive one benefit at a time from social security. You would receive the greater of your own benefit or an ex-spouse benefit. The ex-spouse benefit is limited to 50% of your ex's full retirement benefit which in 2016 would mean that the highest ex-spouse benefit possible would be about $1325 per month. So if you are already receiving more than that, you know that an ex-spouse benefit would not do you any good.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug