How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 70 years old and retired, drawing social security. I

Customer Question

Customer: I'm 70 years old and retired, drawing social security. I recently got a letter from SSA telling me that they were reducing my SSA and making me pay back over 7,000 in overpayment because I earned credit for working. I have worked to earn extra money however I thought I could work and make money without having my SS reduced?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The statement on the letter says "We changed your monthly benefit starting January 2014. We made this change because you earned credit for working"
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Did they tell you when they were going to start holding back your SS to pay the alleged overpayment?

When did you start collecting SS retirement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they want it in a lump sum. I started collecting SS retirement in January 2014. just after my 69th birthday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I didn't hear you come back and for some reason it didn't alert me, but I can see you now. I am answering now, one moment please.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I think you are saying you NEVER collected any SS benefit before age 69?

Then you are right. There is no bar to earning unlimited amounts of money - once you are of full retirement age, which you were.

So either they may be mixing you up with someone else OR, is it possible this is not actually from the SSA? Do you want to redact your private info and upload, fax or email me that letter? I am just concerned that with the widespread scams going on, often using the IRS name, it is only a matter of time until a con decides to do the scare tactic with the SSA name.

I also wonder about the statement you made about "reducing [your] SSA", which may conflict with any language that they are taking it in lump sum. You don't get 7000/mo, so how can they even withhold in lump sum. If legit, at best they could stop your checks until 7k is paid off, but that language doesn't jive.

But bot***** *****ne, you can work from 66 one unlimited, while collecting, so this is erroneous at best or fraud at worst. I can take alook at your letter if you want (just black out your name/address/SS number etc.) or, if not, I'd take a trip to the local office with the letter and inquire. Mistake on their part, or fraud, if they are claiming you can't work and collect without penalty.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!


Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional