Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

The SSA 2016 budget proposal requested that states and local

Customer Question

The SSA 2016 budget proposal requested that states and local governments be required to inform SSA of any workers comp. or public disability benefits being paid to Social Security Disability benefits recipients. Has that proposal been adopted?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi - I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from Mercer University’s Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I can help here

...

Yes, this was passed to reinforce and legitimize the reporting that, quite honestly, has been going on for some time. Information sharing between the federal government and the states has been growing rapidly ... especially during this time of budget shortfalls. States can capture Federal Tax refunds for state tax debt owed and vice versa. Child support back pay, student loan defaults, you name it ... It's all part of the infirmation sharing that's being going on for years., under the authority of sovereign immunity by states and federal supremacy by the federal government

...

Codifying it here, rather quickly and quietly, (part of the legislation that did away with the file and suspend strategy), was a way to protect and insulate the practice.

...

Yes, adopted and expanded.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hope this has helped … let me know if you have questions

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

Thank you,

Lane