dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I received a one-time late alimony payment in 2015 that had

Customer Question

I received a one-time late alimony payment in 2015 that had been delinquent over a period of 10 years. I began receiving SSI in November 2013. Currently, after Medicare expenses, I receive $727. social security income per month. At the same time of the one- time settlement, I was awarded $600. Per month alimony to begin March 2015, but because payments are once again delinquent, I only received $2,700. in monthly alimony in 2015. I was told by a social security representative during a phone call that alimony is not earned income and doesn't affect SSI calculations and taxes. I just read a conflicting explanation. This is my question: Based on the above information, what is my social security calculation and income tax liability for 2015? There was no other source of income. I live with my daughter, and do not own a home or car.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist, but need some more information.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The answer you received about your alimony and earned income was about a repayment of benefits because you claimed benefits before age 66. Your question is about income taxability for 2015.

All your taxable income is used to calculate the taxable portion of your social security. Because you received a lump sum alimony payout, although I don't know the amount, you can safely assume 85% of your social security will be taxable.

I can't determine your tax liability for 2015 without more specifics.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

To forecast your tax liability, I will need the information you will use to prepare your return. I can assist, and will post an Offer to do so. Accept, and provide a few more facts, and I can estimate your 2015 tax liability.