Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Delayed earnings retirement credit...an I eligible? widow 90

Customer Question

Delayed earnings retirement credit...an I eligible? widow 90 yr. (this info. from a newsletter "the Palm Beach Letter" (about stocks)
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Are you collecting social security retirement?

Also, can up upload a copy of that newsletter that suggested this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am collecting my husbands. Can't download. It's "Palm Beach Letter" Phone#561(###) ###-#### ***** ***** a scam--or retiring w/more SS after 70 or so?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
finish

I suspect you will have nothing additional to collect. I will explain... give me a moment to type it.

Delayed retirement credits are earned by anyone with a SS security work record who could be collecting at 62 or full retirement age, but delays doing so til age 70. By waiting til 70 to collect anything, we can grow our own benefit by 32% OVER our FRA amount (and 80% bigger than the reduced amount we'd collect at 62).

But...

In the past (and the law has just changed on this), a spouse like yourself COULD start collecting ONLY a spousal benefit at her full retirement age (FRA) - and NOT collect anything earlier - called a "restricted application for spousal benefits" - and take those from her FRA til age 70 and THEN file for her own. This would be done IF her own, by growing via delayed retirement credits, would be BIGGER than her spousal benefit. She'd get the benefit of spousal for the 4-5 years til age 70, and then switch to her own benefit, now maximized.

If you had a work record of your own, it is POSSIBLE you did this back when you were FRA (65-ish), in which case, perhaps your own benefit (being 132% of your primary insurance amount, would be BIGGER than your spousal (which is a max of 50% of your spouse's benefit.

Do you recall what age you were when you started collecting spousal?

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional