How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Of Bakersfield, CA. My husband Eduardo Almonte Rabe was

Customer Question

Hello, im Leticia Rabe of Bakersfield, CA. My husband Eduardo Almonte Rabe was receiving Social Security pension until he died in Jan 07, 2013. I d like to apply for his death benefit. Please send me information.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Liticia,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you are at least 60 years old (or 50 if you are legally disabled), and were married to your husband for at least one year before he died, you are eligible to apply for a survivor benefit based on his lifetime earnings.

However, unlike a spouse benefit you cannot apply online for a survivor benefit. You will either have to call social security at 1-***-***-**** or go to the nearest social security office to make your application.

I order to apply for the survivor benefit, you will need to provide a copy of your marriage license, a copy of his death certificate as well as provide each of your social security numbers. You can get his social security number from social security, or from the last tax return he filed and more than likley, from his death certificate as well.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I thought you understand I'm asking about my husband's Social Security in the Philippines, NOT USA. Can you get the info at least phone number.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.


Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, new expert here. My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

For Death claim, see the following documents you will need:

Death claim application (SSS DDR-1)
Filers affidavit
DDR Savings Account Form
Passbook (for Pension)
Report of Death (if cause of death is work-connected)
SSS Form CLD 13A (Affidavit for Death Claim, if claimant is a secondary beneficiary)
SSS Form CLD 13 (Joint affidavit, if claimant is a legal heir)
Photo of filer and valid IDs
If married, marriage certificate of the deceased and birth certificates of minor children (duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar)
If single, the deceased member’s birth certificate and marriage certificate of the parents (duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar)
Note: Other papers may be required as they are found to be necessary during the processing of the claim.

You need to visit the official website of SSS at for more official information or visit the the nearest SSS office for any official transactions. The phone number to the Philippines social security office is 1-***-**-****777.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?