How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for SS while living in Brainerd MN....I was

Customer Question

I filed for SS while living in Brainerd MN....I was receiving $816 dollars per month in 2014, and I moved to Plentywood, Montana, after moving, the 2nd month there my SS check dropped to $6oo.oo Then it went to $700.00 when I informed the SS office it was costing me over $100.oo a month for Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance. It was increased to $700.00 and now it is at $735.00 per month. Why did it first dropped ($216.oo) and it was raised, but still $116.00 less and now it is still ($81.00) less then the &816.00 it had eventually reach and was receive at that payment ($816.00) for almost a year
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. When you say your social security check, do you mean your SSI (Supplemental Security Income) check? SSI is not social security but rather is a form of state welfare benefit that is funded by social security but also handled through the individual state you happen to be in, and is handled quite differently from a traditional social security benefit.

2. Are you also receiving a social security retirement benefit payment monthly?



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doug, thanks for endeavoring to assist me. From the bank deposit records the funds are recorded as: SSA
Bill Stowell, Plentywood, MT 59254 I am willing to pay the $11 you request, but do not have the funds until the end of Jan.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Thanks for the information.

Are you receiving benefits because you are disabled and low income.

Did you have to prove that you are low income to get your benefit?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I receive a 10 % disability from the Veterans. I do not have to prove a low income for any benefits. In Brainerd I was place in an apartment because of my disability, but my payment for rent was base also on my !0% disability income and on my SSA income. Which was about:$1145.00 per month. When I moved to MT. The SSA dropped about $215.00 (to $600.00 per month)
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill, good evening,

3. If you are not disabled (10% from the VA seems unlikely to qualify you as disabled by the Social Security Administration---but possible, I guess, depending on the disability), and you are not retired, why are you receiving social security benefits of any kind?

4. Why are you not able to work---specifically?

5. All of these questions are related to nothing more than trying to determine how, and why, you are eligible for social security (which you paid for while working through taxes) or SSI (welfare). Until I can figure this out, there is no way I can answer you. Telling me that your payment is coded as SSA simply means that the social security administration is behind this---and unfortunately, this tells me nothing useful.

6. What is your present age?

7. When did you first begin receiving any social security benefits----SSI or SSDI? What year?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not place in an apartment; but it was recommended because I would at times lose my equilibrium due to my right ear drum being damaged but a Army. A .45 cal. pistol fired just a few inches from my ear. Black blood dripped from my ear and was sent to the infirmary. The apartment was for the elderly and disabled. I would at times fall and the apartment had a device to use to contact emergency services. During the winter it was not a big problem when there was snow to cushion my fall.
Present age: 72 as of Dec. 1st, 2015...I do not remember when I applied for SS/ perhaps 8 to 10 years ago.
I did work this past summer of 2015, I was so bored and when they dropped by SS by $200 per month and I was unable to pay for my BlueCross/BlueShield supplement ins. When I informed SS about this they did increase my monthly SS by $100.00. The VA Doctor thought I should qualify for a 30% disability as an MRI showed damaged to my back from parachuting from various aircraft while in the US Army Special Forces. But I refused because too many are returning to the USA, in a lot worse shape than me. The MRI Doctor recommended injecting a steroid. I ask just one shot, he said NO, but one shot each month!!! I replied "YOU HAVE TO BE TELLING A JOKE >>NO WAY I WOULD AGREE TO HAVE THAT POSION INJECTED 12 TIMES A YEAR. FORGET IT AND GOODBYE.
I did not inform my employer about my fainting spells. I fell only 2 times, but was able to lay down with out injury.
Doug....I should not have a problem sending you the $11.00 in 7 to 8 days from today 22nd of Jan
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.