How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13546
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I protect the SSS of my grandson who is minor from s

Customer Question

How can I protect the SSS of my grandson who is minor from his Mom who had records on using other persons SSS in the past?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Is your grandson receiving SSI?

Who does he live with?

Who is his Representative Payee?

How old is he?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ,he is not getting financial help from SSS but on Staywell for health insurance .I,grandmother raised him since he was 4 yrs old & he is 17 now.I am her guardian.He is 17 yrs old.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

So what social security are you trying to protect, if he isn't getting any?

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean you want to make sure she doesn't use his SS NUMBER? I.e. to take out loans for herself by using his number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,she used my other daughter's security number by applying credit cards
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Again, are you trying to PREVENT her from stealing his SS number and using it fraudulently? Thereby damaging his credit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has savings account.Will start working in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me?I've been waiting for 15 mins.just want to be sure you are still connected to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happen? You haven't answer my question yet & I paid $32 for nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just let me know if you're still on line with me.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I am, sorry, just a glitch.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, he can't do anything via the SSA, but we do when we are concerned about fraud against us, is contact the 3 major bureaus (credit) and ask that a fraud alert be placed on our 3 respective files. I have done this myself after being a victim of ID theft and having some crook borrow $8000 from Wells Fargo, pretending to be me. Once I saw the violation, I contacted all 3 bureaus (the crook of course didn't pay the loan back on its terms, which is how I learned of it because my credit rating dropped). They placed a fraud alert on my file, which meant that ANYTIME credit was requested, including when I myself applied for credit, it wouldn't just happen - they lender would have to re-contact me separately (usually emailing me and/or texting/calling me on cell number connected to me) and I'd have to verify certain info to confirm yes it was me and yes I sought the credit/loan. Then, they'd process the loan request, but not before.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

The 3 credit bureaus I am referring to are Experian, TransUnion and Equifax, incidentally, and you can reach them online. This likely won't be much do-able until your grandson is 18 because minors typically won't be allowed to take out loans in their own name, so he likely has no credit rating as of yet, but soon.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!


Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional