How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19624
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to receive social security based on my former

Customer Question

Is it possible to receive social security based on my former husband's contributions? We were married 27.75 years, and have been divorced 20 years. During that time I remarried and was married 13 years and have been divorced 4 years. I was told two different things when I inquired at my office and if I n receive more money I certainly need it. Also how do you determine the rate of disability people receive?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can collect benefits based on your first husband's earnings. However, you cannot collect on your first and your second. You must apply under one of them. For more information, click on the link below:

As for the rate of disability, it is based on your earnings under Social Security system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good answer very quickly
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You are quite Welcome!

Kindly give a positive rating to my answer so that I can receive credit for answering your question.

Thank you for your cooperation,