ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My name is ***** ***** Nodell and I will be 66 this month. I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Nodell and I will be 66 this month. I have signed up for SS - but the amount is lower than I expected. My husband earned less money than me, started drawing at age 61 - had a stroke and was disabled. I believe they used to figure ss on your last 5 years - but now it is 35 years. Question - would I be able to request my amount be figured under the old rules?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just want to know if I can request my social security be figured under the old method - last 5 years or if I have to use the new 35 year method.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.

Hello.NO you not will be able to do so on last 5 year method. Unfortunately they now ONLY use the new rules. Sorry that they do this.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.

Would you like a call to discuss it in detail?