How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15203
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hope you can help us. We had a good friend of ours who had

Customer Question

I hope you can help us. We had a good friend of ours who had a major stroke about 20 years ago. The stoke left him with severe Aphasia and vision impairment. He cannot Drive. He has no family. Jimmy is now 70 years old and I would like to know if there is any assistance I can get him.
Currently, he gets SSI in the amount of 750.00 per month and 175.00 in food stamps. His rent is 850.00 per month (very reasonable in this area) and he is across the street from us) (This was we can take him to his doctors appointments, etc.) I tried 3 times to get him some kind of help paying his rent through section 8, but had no progress. For the past 10 years, his friends or myself have helped him financially by alternating paying his electric or heating bills, phone bill, etc. Unfortunately, 2 of the friends passed away, and now he has no phone. I am unable to help him financially.
He lives in the bottom half of a 2 family home. The gentleman who lives on the top floor gets section 8 through the state. He started getting it 2 years ago. He is 45 years old.
I don't understand why Jimmy is not entitled to housing benefits. He had a social worker, but she was not able to help him. He does not want to move, as he is comfortable.
What is the best way I can help him. Also, is there a service or program that can provide him a free phone. I am very concerned that he no longer has a phone.
Thank you very kindly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact your State's Medicaid Department/Department of Transitional Assistance/Welfare Department for assistance. I do not see why he should not be eligible for Section 8 Housing. Click here for more information:

As for free phone, he should be eligible for one. Click on the link below to learn how you can get one for him:

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


I did already try to get him section 8 several times, but each time they said they are "not accepting new applications" because of the long waiting list. I asked the man who lives in the apartment upstairs from him how he got section 8, and he told me he was homeless and then applied. But when I call, they are not accepting applications.

I don't know how to get around this. Is there someone I should write?

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I do not have anything else to add to my initial post to you. So, I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


I have read through the postings and the specific state is not mentioned.

Many states have other programs and the priority lists are different. To be able to see if there are other programs or steps to take your specific state would need to be known.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He lives in New Jersey. (Gloucester County)

Related Social Security Questions