How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15723
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 55 & eligible retirement at s job.

Customer Question

My husband is 55 & eligible for full retirement at his job. However, his name on his checks and soc.sec stmts and military records have read different than on his birth certificate. But his social security number is ***** on all documents. Will this be a problem at full retirement age or How does he correct this problem before he reaches full retirement age.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Your husband would need to check with SSA and make certain that his name and number match what they have on file.

As the Number is ***** that will be helpful. The fact that his name is ***** ***** on his SSA statements is perplexing because SSA generally uses the name on the birth certificate unless the name changed and a correction was applied (generally in marriage).

Encourage him to contact the SSA office in your city.