LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I turned 66 in June of 2015. I applied SS benefits in August

Customer Question

I turned 66 in June of 2015. I applied for my SS benefits in August and they paid me benefits beginning in the month that I turned 66. I continued to work full time during 2015 and plan on doing so for 2016. Was there a limit on the amount of salary that I could earn in 2015? Is there a limit on the amount of salary that I can earn in 2016?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is absolutely no limit on income you earn after the month that you actually turn 66. You were allowed to earn up to $41,880 in the months before you turned 66. If you earned more than that amount, then social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earned above the $41,880 in the months before you turned 66.

There is no limit for you in 2016 because you are already past full retirement age of 66.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug