LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Does the Employer match an Employee's Social Security

Customer Question

Does the Employer match an Employee's Social Security payroll deductions ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, an employer pays a matching contribution to social security based on the waged paid to the employee and the social security taxes withheld under federal law. Below are a list of those taxes that are paid by the employer to social security in behalf of each employee.

• Social Security tax withholding (6.2% up to the annual maximum)
  • Medicare tax withholding (1.45%)
  • Additional Medicare tax withholding (0.9%) for employees earning over $200,000 (this is a new tax withholding requirement starting in the year 2013)

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug