How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15180
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 57 yr.old daughter died recently. i was always her

Customer Question

my 57 yr.old daughter died recently. i was always her caregiver and she always lived with me.i will have to pay funeral expenses . why can't i get the $255 paid to family for funeral expenses?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Please accept my condolences on the passing of your daughter.

According to SSA law a surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements. Parents age 62 or older who received at least one-half support from the deceased can receive benefits.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died.

If there's no eligible surviving spouse, the lump-sum can be paid to the worker's child.

If the eligible surviving spouse or child is not currently receiving benefits, they must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death.

Unfortunately congress made no provision to pay the benefit to any other.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!