TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

My 57 yr.old daughter died recently. i was always her

Customer Question

my 57 yr.old daughter died recently. i was always her caregiver and she always lived with me.i will have to pay funeral expenses . why can't i get the $255 paid to family for funeral expenses?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your daughter.

According to SSA law a surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements. Parents age 62 or older who received at least one-half support from the deceased can receive benefits.

Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died.

If there's no eligible surviving spouse, the lump-sum can be paid to the worker's child.

If the eligible surviving spouse or child is not currently receiving benefits, they must apply for this payment within two years of the date of death.

Unfortunately congress made no provision to pay the benefit to any other.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-7.html

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!