How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12023
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 73 and have bone cancer. I've had a bone transplant and

Customer Question

I'm 73 and have bone cancer. I've had a bone transplant and I'm in complete remission. My LTD ends this January. I wish to retire now and apply for Medicare Part "B" so I can apply for the Senior Plan at Kaiser. My friend did this recently and spent hours at the Social Security office. He got confirmation he had insurance all the time, but the Social Security didn't accept it because it was a copy not the original. He spent more hours there getting a new form. How can I avoid something similar happening. My doctor says I should avoid crowds for long periods due to the flu season and my immune system is still rebuilding itself.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

First of all, congratulations, sounds like you're winning the battle.


OK first (may be stating the obvious here, but) ALWAYS call the social Security office to make an appointment. You may still have to wait, but not nearly as long as those without appointments.


If you simply walk in they'll still many times (depending on number of people) only make an appointment for a later dat once you get to see someone.


Sounds like you have the original form vs copy piece under control.


What YOU MAY want to consider is using a third party representative. You can designate someone using this form: Appointment of Representative, Form SSA-1696

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Representatives can be attorneys or non-attorneys. Representatives must abide by standards of conduct, which the Social Security Administration has published. In addition, many representatives do not charge a fee unless they win your case. A representative cannot charge you until Social Security authorizes the fee the representative is looking to collect from you.


If you do not have a representative and you are interested in getting one but do not know how to, your local Social Security office can give you a list of legal referral services and non-profit organizations, (such as legal aid services and local bar associations) that either provide services free of charge or help you find a representative.