How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The first year I retired in 1992, I worked and earned

Customer Question

The first year I retired in 1992, I worked and earned $25.000 and $15.000 were taken away thru $337.00 per month for 3 years deducted from my SS payments,because I was only allowed to earn $10000.
what happened to that money. How do I get credit ? ?
my name is Albert ******
SSN *** ** ****
thank you for your attention
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, we will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

The SSA uses the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits - if you are under full retirement age for the entire year, they deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2016 that limit is $15,720.

If additional - because you are continue working - you may get additional credits - and your social security is recalculated EVERY year - up to age 70.

So far - the Social Security Administration should already recalculate your benefits.

If you think your benefits were not calculated properly - you may contact the SSA and verify.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was aware of the answers you gave me to my question but I thought you would help me to get the credit from Social Security.
It is difficult for me to call them because I am hearing impaired. Could you help me? I would appreciate it. Sorry for the trouble I am giving you. I am now 90 years old. I did not know that I would live this far and now I would love to make it to 100 and money is kind of short. More so, when th gvt claims that inflation is 1.7. That's for televisions. Food is up 40 to 50%.Thank you much
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If you are looking for someone who will represent you with the SSA - that is a different situation...

Every person has the right to be represented by an attorney or other representative while pursuing a claim.

Generally - your representative is not required to be an attorney.

A claimant may appoint a qualified individual to represent him or her in doing business with Social Security. The appointment must be in writing and must be filed with SSA. If the claimant appoints a representative, the representative generally cannot charge or collect a fee for those services without first getting written approval from the Social Security Administration, even if the claim is denied.

Here is the SSA publication this matter

unfortunately - I may not represent you and if you are looking for representation - it would be better to have someone in your state.

You will use this form to appoint the representative

Sorry if you expected differently.