Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My boyfriend is covered by quimby insurance the state of

Customer Question

my boyfriend is covered by quimby insurance the state of maine and medicade how will our marriage affect his health insurence
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Any marriage can impute a spouse's income onto the individual receiving state medical assistance or other forms of needs based welfare or medical coverage. If your combined incomes' effect puts his income over the level set by your state for medical assistance, he could lose coverage. He will want to find out from his local medicaid office what that limit is and if marriage to you will cause him to be uninsured. If that occurs, you may want to make sure you get him a policy elsewhere, either via your employer if it provides for opportunity for healthcare or by purchasing it privately. He will also want to look into whether he can have a special enrollment period for Obamacare if his own insurance is cancelled due to marriage, as they may be an avenue for the two of you to pick up affordable (if not stellar) insurance that is subsidized, at least, by the government. None of these are simple issues and you will want to give yourselves time to investigate what will apply to your particulars, before you get married if possible.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – ifyou feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy toaddress follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forwardto assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sureto start future posts with "To Stephanie O. Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me tospecifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!