How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Working part time after retiring?
, My question is: I

Customer Question

Customer: Working part time after retiring?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My question is: I plan to retire next year at age 67 (my full retirement age is 66) and continue working on a part-time basis. Since i will be collecting Social Security, do I continue to pay into SS?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and Happy New Year to you.

Yes, because SS is a tax we all must pay on work earnings, we pay it regardless of our age or benefits status, just like our other income taxes. That said, as you likely know, you are no longer subject to the earnings limit that applies to those under full retirement age - so you can earn as much as you wish and continue to collect your SS. Also, if you wanted, you could suspend your SS benefits til age 70 (if you can afford to live on what you earn from work), so that you can later have an increased benefit by about 8% per year you defer (to age 70). That could be a 32% increase if you are only 66 now, that you'd be collecting each month if you start at age 70.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!